Man, if I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn’t have bought that MC Hammer tape and those parachute pants. (Hey, take it easy on me, I was eight.) The wish that your younger, more reckless self had the wisdom you do now is one we’ve all had, and it’s a wish Lyfe Jennings knows only too well. In the follow-up single to his DJBooth approved Haters, Jennings is back with his new offering If I Knew Then, a slowly smoking track that’s captivating, thanks in no small part to Lyfe’s always stellar vocals - absolutely no one else sounds like he does - and some beautifully understated production from C. Jennings, though I would have liked to have heard more of the acoustic flavor we get at the end. If I Knew Then is part of Lyfe’s upcoming new album I Still Believe, tentatively scheduled to drop in April of 2010. (FYI: “Tentative” is industry speak for “there’s almost no chance the album’s going to drop then.”)
Written by Nathan S. on 11/19/09
Submit your Rating
Red Music / Sony
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ghetto Mindstate (Can't Get Away)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.