With the March 8 release date for his oft-delayed album Lasers finally drawing closer, Lupe Fiasco seems to be intent on building anticipation and stoking controversy. His new single, Words I Never Said, seeks to up the ante so to speak, just in case you thought he was fooling around on Dumb It Down. Clearly, Mr. Fiasco has had some things on his chest, and his “Give-A-F*ck” switch is set to off: he’s coming after your feelings if you voted for Barack Obama or consume mainstream media, and that was only half-way through the list. Alex Da Kid‘s dark, futuristic production lends power to the song’s lyrics, while Skylar Grey‘s vocals are haunting and infectious, but no less daunting when you consider the profundity of the hook: “It’s so loud inside my head/With words that I should have said!/As I drown in my regrets/I can’t take back the words I never said.” Lupe Fiasco is known for being outspoken in interviews, on his blog and even on Twitter, but never has he been as loud as he is on Words That I Never Said.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 02/1/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.