With the March 8 release date for his oft-delayed album Lasers finally drawing closer, Lupe Fiasco seems to be intent on building anticipation and stoking controversy. His new single, Words I Never Said, seeks to up the ante so to speak, just in case you thought he was fooling around on Dumb It Down. Clearly, Mr. Fiasco has had some things on his chest, and his “Give-A-F*ck” switch is set to off: he’s coming after your feelings if you voted for Barack Obama or consume mainstream media, and that was only half-way through the list. Alex Da Kid‘s dark, futuristic production lends power to the song’s lyrics, while Skylar Grey‘s vocals are haunting and infectious, but no less daunting when you consider the profundity of the hook: “It’s so loud inside my head/With words that I should have said!/As I drown in my regrets/I can’t take back the words I never said.” Lupe Fiasco is known for being outspoken in interviews, on his blog and even on Twitter, but never has he been as loud as he is on Words That I Never Said.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 02/1/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.