One of the most exciting inclusions on the Stimulus Package DJ Drama and DJ Moondawg cooked up last May was This Is For My N*ggas, a previously-unreleased record from Chi-town great Lupe Fiasco‘s vault. As it turns out, though, those who downloaded the street album didn’t get the whole story—delivered personally by Moondawg and featured first at DJBooth.net, this version of the record has been scrubbed clean of tags and comes complete with a final verse cut from the mixtape version. Over an unknown beatsmith’s chipmunk-soul instrumental (sampled from Millie Jones’ If It’s Wrong to Love You (I Don’t Want to Be Right), Fiasco takes it back for all his fans, delivering plenty of the poetically vivid, not-quite-punchline lyricism that’s become his trademark—how many other rappers can free-associate their way from “Parental Advisory” stickers to Billy Crystal to a pistol-packing Vishnu in the span of about three seconds, while still making sense to the attentive listener? Lupe’s third studio album, Lasers, has yet to receive a solid release date, but in the meantime, fans should keep their eyes on Moondawg—the Chi-town DJ plans to include several more never-before-heard Lupe cuts on forthcoming mixtapes.
Written by richard on 07/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.