One of the most exciting inclusions on the Stimulus Package DJ Drama and DJ Moondawg cooked up last May was This Is For My N*ggas, a previously-unreleased record from Chi-town great Lupe Fiasco‘s vault. As it turns out, though, those who downloaded the street album didn’t get the whole story—delivered personally by Moondawg and featured first at DJBooth.net, this version of the record has been scrubbed clean of tags and comes complete with a final verse cut from the mixtape version. Over an unknown beatsmith’s chipmunk-soul instrumental (sampled from Millie Jones’ If It’s Wrong to Love You (I Don’t Want to Be Right), Fiasco takes it back for all his fans, delivering plenty of the poetically vivid, not-quite-punchline lyricism that’s become his trademark—how many other rappers can free-associate their way from “Parental Advisory” stickers to Billy Crystal to a pistol-packing Vishnu in the span of about three seconds, while still making sense to the attentive listener? Lupe’s third studio album, Lasers, has yet to receive a solid release date, but in the meantime, fans should keep their eyes on Moondawg—the Chi-town DJ plans to include several more never-before-heard Lupe cuts on forthcoming mixtapes.
Written by richard on 07/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.