Well, I guess I’m Beamin’ just never happened, huh? With all the internal bickering between Lupe Fiasco and Atlantic, I’m not surprised that this new record, The Show Goes On, is now being pushed as the first single off of his highly anticipated Lasers album. Just as well - this new song is the epitome of radio-friendly fare that should definitely get Lupe burn in Urban and Top 40 markets. The horns throughout this Kane Beatz joint gives a triumphant feel to match Lupe’s inspirational sermon to today’s ghetto youths, who need a ‘lil kick in the right direction. While his words are enlightening and cleverly spit (as usual), they’re not as lyrical as we’ve come to expect from the son of Chi-town. Actually, it may work better that way; in the words of MLK, say it plain. Besides, Lupe has proved time and time again that he can put together some impossibly complex rhymes, so look at this change of direction as an attempt to reach the very audience who needs to hear it the most. Lasers finally has a March 8, 2011, release date, we’ll see if it sticks.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 10/27/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)