Well, I guess I’m Beamin’ just never happened, huh? With all the internal bickering between Lupe Fiasco and Atlantic, I’m not surprised that this new record, The Show Goes On, is now being pushed as the first single off of his highly anticipated Lasers album. Just as well - this new song is the epitome of radio-friendly fare that should definitely get Lupe burn in Urban and Top 40 markets. The horns throughout this Kane Beatz joint gives a triumphant feel to match Lupe’s inspirational sermon to today’s ghetto youths, who need a ‘lil kick in the right direction. While his words are enlightening and cleverly spit (as usual), they’re not as lyrical as we’ve come to expect from the son of Chi-town. Actually, it may work better that way; in the words of MLK, say it plain. Besides, Lupe has proved time and time again that he can put together some impossibly complex rhymes, so look at this change of direction as an attempt to reach the very audience who needs to hear it the most. Lasers finally has a March 8, 2011, release date, we’ll see if it sticks.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 10/27/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.