The phrase “Phoenix song” dates back centuries. Legend has it that this mythical creature can die and be born again, rising from its own ashes while crying a beautiful song that uplifts anyone who can hear it. In light of the catastrophic losses suffered in Haiti, Chicago’s Lupe Fiasco has crafted his own phoenix song, teaming up with singer Kenna and Linkin Park emcee/producer Mike Shinoda for Resurrection, a superb song dedicated to the devastated country. Shinoda sets the stage with some urgent, thought-provoking production, Kenna takes the track to another level with an inspirational chorus and climatic outro, and while Lupe doesn’t get too fancy, he still impresses. His words are simple but his message is gut-wrenching; sometimes it’s what you say and not how you say it that makes a song great. Like a phoenix song, Resurrection was designed to help those in need; the song is featured on Music for Relief’s “Download to Donate” album, the proceeds from which all go to Haiti relief efforts. And stay tuned for DJBooth’s own Haiti aide album Rhymes and Rhythm for Relief, dropping Thursday.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 01/20/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.