The phrase “Phoenix song” dates back centuries. Legend has it that this mythical creature can die and be born again, rising from its own ashes while crying a beautiful song that uplifts anyone who can hear it. In light of the catastrophic losses suffered in Haiti, Chicago’s Lupe Fiasco has crafted his own phoenix song, teaming up with singer Kenna and Linkin Park emcee/producer Mike Shinoda for Resurrection, a superb song dedicated to the devastated country. Shinoda sets the stage with some urgent, thought-provoking production, Kenna takes the track to another level with an inspirational chorus and climatic outro, and while Lupe doesn’t get too fancy, he still impresses. His words are simple but his message is gut-wrenching; sometimes it’s what you say and not how you say it that makes a song great. Like a phoenix song, Resurrection was designed to help those in need; the song is featured on Music for Relief’s “Download to Donate” album, the proceeds from which all go to Haiti relief efforts. And stay tuned for DJBooth’s own Haiti aide album Rhymes and Rhythm for Relief, dropping Thursday.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.