Now that the, well, fiasco that was the release of Lupe‘s third full-length has largely died down, it’s possible to appreciate Lasers for what it is: a quality, if uncharacteristically pop-oriented addition to the Chitown mainstay’s discography. Or maybe I’m Out of My Head; you’ll have to tell me. In any case, your opinion on Fiasco’s veer to the mainstream will color your perception of his latest effort, a possible single hailed in the Booth and beyond and emblematic of the LP’s radio focus. Here, Miykal Snoddy establishes a bubbly mood with simmering synths and disco-string flourishes as the artist spits bars dedicated to a girl who has him head-over-heels… or does he? As usual, Lupe leaves room for interpretation, drawing intriguing parallels between romantic attraction and his songwriting process: “Everything hooks, everything works / you’re a real good chorus I’m a real good verse.” Trey Songz provides said chorus, tying the record together with some of his trademark smoothness. So, is this potential selection as fresh and exciting as a new love, or as stale and frustrating as a failing marriage? Debate away – and, of course, keep it locked to the Booth for all your Lupe Fiasco needs.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.