Now that the, well, fiasco that was the release of Lupe‘s third full-length has largely died down, it’s possible to appreciate Lasers for what it is: a quality, if uncharacteristically pop-oriented addition to the Chitown mainstay’s discography. Or maybe I’m Out of My Head; you’ll have to tell me. In any case, your opinion on Fiasco’s veer to the mainstream will color your perception of his latest effort, a possible single hailed in the Booth and beyond and emblematic of the LP’s radio focus. Here, Miykal Snoddy establishes a bubbly mood with simmering synths and disco-string flourishes as the artist spits bars dedicated to a girl who has him head-over-heels… or does he? As usual, Lupe leaves room for interpretation, drawing intriguing parallels between romantic attraction and his songwriting process: “Everything hooks, everything works / you’re a real good chorus I’m a real good verse.” Trey Songz provides said chorus, tying the record together with some of his trademark smoothness. So, is this potential selection as fresh and exciting as a new love, or as stale and frustrating as a failing marriage? Debate away – and, of course, keep it locked to the Booth for all your Lupe Fiasco needs.
Written by richard on 04/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.