Now that the, well, fiasco that was the release of Lupe‘s third full-length has largely died down, it’s possible to appreciate Lasers for what it is: a quality, if uncharacteristically pop-oriented addition to the Chitown mainstay’s discography. Or maybe I’m Out of My Head; you’ll have to tell me. In any case, your opinion on Fiasco’s veer to the mainstream will color your perception of his latest effort, a possible single hailed in the Booth and beyond and emblematic of the LP’s radio focus. Here, Miykal Snoddy establishes a bubbly mood with simmering synths and disco-string flourishes as the artist spits bars dedicated to a girl who has him head-over-heels… or does he? As usual, Lupe leaves room for interpretation, drawing intriguing parallels between romantic attraction and his songwriting process: “Everything hooks, everything works / you’re a real good chorus I’m a real good verse.” Trey Songz provides said chorus, tying the record together with some of his trademark smoothness. So, is this potential selection as fresh and exciting as a new love, or as stale and frustrating as a failing marriage? Debate away – and, of course, keep it locked to the Booth for all your Lupe Fiasco needs.
Written by richard on 04/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.