Now that the, well, fiasco that was the release of Lupe‘s third full-length has largely died down, it’s possible to appreciate Lasers for what it is: a quality, if uncharacteristically pop-oriented addition to the Chitown mainstay’s discography. Or maybe I’m Out of My Head; you’ll have to tell me. In any case, your opinion on Fiasco’s veer to the mainstream will color your perception of his latest effort, a possible single hailed in the Booth and beyond and emblematic of the LP’s radio focus. Here, Miykal Snoddy establishes a bubbly mood with simmering synths and disco-string flourishes as the artist spits bars dedicated to a girl who has him head-over-heels… or does he? As usual, Lupe leaves room for interpretation, drawing intriguing parallels between romantic attraction and his songwriting process: “Everything hooks, everything works / you’re a real good chorus I’m a real good verse.” Trey Songz provides said chorus, tying the record together with some of his trademark smoothness. So, is this potential selection as fresh and exciting as a new love, or as stale and frustrating as a failing marriage? Debate away – and, of course, keep it locked to the Booth for all your Lupe Fiasco needs.
Written by richard on 04/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.