Now that the, well, fiasco that was the release of Lupe‘s third full-length has largely died down, it’s possible to appreciate Lasers for what it is: a quality, if uncharacteristically pop-oriented addition to the Chitown mainstay’s discography. Or maybe I’m Out of My Head; you’ll have to tell me. In any case, your opinion on Fiasco’s veer to the mainstream will color your perception of his latest effort, a possible single hailed in the Booth and beyond and emblematic of the LP’s radio focus. Here, Miykal Snoddy establishes a bubbly mood with simmering synths and disco-string flourishes as the artist spits bars dedicated to a girl who has him head-over-heels… or does he? As usual, Lupe leaves room for interpretation, drawing intriguing parallels between romantic attraction and his songwriting process: “Everything hooks, everything works / you’re a real good chorus I’m a real good verse.” Trey Songz provides said chorus, tying the record together with some of his trademark smoothness. So, is this potential selection as fresh and exciting as a new love, or as stale and frustrating as a failing marriage? Debate away – and, of course, keep it locked to the Booth for all your Lupe Fiasco needs.
Written by richard on 04/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)