Get ready to feel old, Booth readers; it’s been the better part of a decade since Lupe Fiasco hit the scene with Kick Push. To heads like you or me, the 2006 release of the Chi-Town stalwart’s debut single (the first off freshman set Food & Liquor) might feel like just yesterday, but when you consider the amount of artistic evolution Wasalu Jaco’s undergone in the meantime (not to mention the extensive ups and downs of his career), seven years doesn’t seem all that long. Focusing on subtle, multifaceted narrative rather than the more aggressive, cerebral lyricism that’s come to the fore in Lupe’s recent work, the record follows a clumsy youth as he develops into a skilled skater, and finds love along the way. To back Lupe’s deceptively simple bars, which have given rise to as startling number of allegorical interpretations, frequent collaborator Soundtrakk flips a cinematic sample from Celeste Legaspi’s Magtaksil Man Ikaw (Bolero Medley). Christopher Adams and Hana McDowell (aka Chris & Blaq) provide an official video to match the joint’s artfully gritty vibe.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.