Get ready to feel old, Booth readers; it’s been the better part of a decade since Lupe Fiasco hit the scene with Kick Push. To heads like you or me, the 2006 release of the Chi-Town stalwart’s debut single (the first off freshman set Food & Liquor) might feel like just yesterday, but when you consider the amount of artistic evolution Wasalu Jaco’s undergone in the meantime (not to mention the extensive ups and downs of his career), seven years doesn’t seem all that long. Focusing on subtle, multifaceted narrative rather than the more aggressive, cerebral lyricism that’s come to the fore in Lupe’s recent work, the record follows a clumsy youth as he develops into a skilled skater, and finds love along the way. To back Lupe’s deceptively simple bars, which have given rise to as startling number of allegorical interpretations, frequent collaborator Soundtrakk flips a cinematic sample from Celeste Legaspi’s Magtaksil Man Ikaw (Bolero Medley). Christopher Adams and Hana McDowell (aka Chris & Blaq) provide an official video to match the joint’s artfully gritty vibe.
Written by richard on 10/17/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.