This Monday, March 11, in the Woodlawn neighborhood of Chicago, a six-month-old girl named Jonylah Watkins lost her life after an unknown gunman opened fire in the direction of her father, who was changing her diaper at the time. Like many others in the Windy City and beyond, Lupe Fiasco was devastated to see a young life cut so tragically short. On new promo single Jonylah Forever, he speculates about the woman she could have become had she managed to survive the attack. Over an elegiac Soundtrakk beat, Lupe describes her excelling in school, getting her PhD at 22, and eventually returning home to give back to her ‘hood. Though not appearing on a larger project, this poignant loosie will undoubtedly serve its intended purpose of raising awareness and sparking discussion around the violence plaguing Chicago communities. Fans can, of course, stay tuned for more from Lupe in the weeks and months ahead.
Written by richard on 03/15/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.