This Monday, March 11, in the Woodlawn neighborhood of Chicago, a six-month-old girl named Jonylah Watkins lost her life after an unknown gunman opened fire in the direction of her father, who was changing her diaper at the time. Like many others in the Windy City and beyond, Lupe Fiasco was devastated to see a young life cut so tragically short. On new promo single Jonylah Forever, he speculates about the woman she could have become had she managed to survive the attack. Over an elegiac Soundtrakk beat, Lupe describes her excelling in school, getting her PhD at 22, and eventually returning home to give back to her ‘hood. Though not appearing on a larger project, this poignant loosie will undoubtedly serve its intended purpose of raising awareness and sparking discussion around the violence plaguing Chicago communities. Fans can, of course, stay tuned for more from Lupe in the weeks and months ahead.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.