This Monday, March 11, in the Woodlawn neighborhood of Chicago, a six-month-old girl named Jonylah Watkins lost her life after an unknown gunman opened fire in the direction of her father, who was changing her diaper at the time. Like many others in the Windy City and beyond, Lupe Fiasco was devastated to see a young life cut so tragically short. On new promo single Jonylah Forever, he speculates about the woman she could have become had she managed to survive the attack. Over an elegiac Soundtrakk beat, Lupe describes her excelling in school, getting her PhD at 22, and eventually returning home to give back to her ‘hood. Though not appearing on a larger project, this poignant loosie will undoubtedly serve its intended purpose of raising awareness and sparking discussion around the violence plaguing Chicago communities. Fans can, of course, stay tuned for more from Lupe in the weeks and months ahead.
Written by richard on 03/15/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.