If you’ve already heard the lead single off Lupe Fiasco‘s forthcoming third LP, chances are whatever site you visited has received an Email or two from the rapper’s people at 1st & 15th; though Shining Down popped up on the ‘net on Monday night, bloggers have since been asked to remove download links. As for the single itself—which we’re streaming with the express permission of Lupe’s label—it’s some impressive stuff. Soundtrakk‘s lushly sinister synth-guitar groove sets the stage for plenty of the cerebral lyricism that fans have come to expect, and, unsurprisingly, there’s way too much going on here to sum up in a neat couple lines. It’s clear that Lupe’s still got plenty to say about the music game, and certain incidental details that would hardly register in another rapper’s record (a few Autotune-enhanced bars, a melodic reference to Lollipop in fellow Midwesterner Matthew Santos’ hook) here come across as cryptically pointed. Shinin’ is equal parts pop appeal and forehead-wrinkling subtext (vintage Lupe, in other words), and the scrutiny it invites should keep fans occupied as they wait for Lasers to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 06/16/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.