If you’ve already heard the lead single off Lupe Fiasco‘s forthcoming third LP, chances are whatever site you visited has received an Email or two from the rapper’s people at 1st & 15th; though Shining Down popped up on the ‘net on Monday night, bloggers have since been asked to remove download links. As for the single itself—which we’re streaming with the express permission of Lupe’s label—it’s some impressive stuff. Soundtrakk‘s lushly sinister synth-guitar groove sets the stage for plenty of the cerebral lyricism that fans have come to expect, and, unsurprisingly, there’s way too much going on here to sum up in a neat couple lines. It’s clear that Lupe’s still got plenty to say about the music game, and certain incidental details that would hardly register in another rapper’s record (a few Autotune-enhanced bars, a melodic reference to Lollipop in fellow Midwesterner Matthew Santos’ hook) here come across as cryptically pointed. Shinin’ is equal parts pop appeal and forehead-wrinkling subtext (vintage Lupe, in other words), and the scrutiny it invites should keep fans occupied as they wait for Lasers to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 06/16/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.