Lupe Fiasco - B*tch Bad
Artist: Lupe Fiasco
Producer: The Audibles
Avg Rating: 3.7 ( 41 votes )
Did you hear it—that faint rustling sound issuing from nowhere in particular? That was the sound of Lupe Fiasco fans worldwide raising a collective eyebrow upon learning that the Chi-town rhymesayer was following up lyrical, politically-charged album lead single Around My Way with a record called “B*tch Bad.” While I, too, was surprised upon peeping that title, I had an inkling there was more to the cut than met the eye—after all, this is Lupe we’re talking about. Sure enough, the Chi-town vet has a little something up his a sleeve; specifically, a parable designed to make us think about the way hip-hop vernacular affects yet-unformed minds. Over The Audibles’ production, a synth-driven arrangement that allows the lyrics to take the center stage, Fiasco tells the stories of a young boy who hears his own mother singing along to records which transform the word “b*tch” into a mark of pride, and a girl driven to style herself after the women in rap videos. Having internalized contradictory images of the feminine ideal, the two find themselves unable to relate when they cross paths as adults. Topped off with outro vocals from frequent collaborator MDMA, this jam is guaranteed to spark interesting conversations—but is the music as compelling as the message? If you’re feeling it, stay tuned for further song releases leading up to the Sept. 25, arrival of Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album (Pt. 1).
Written by richard on 06/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)