“Those who would trade in their freedom for their protection deserve neither,” Benjamin Franklin. And if I’m starting off a post with some revolutionary political quotes than there’s a pretty good chance some new Lupe Fiasco has been unleashed upon the world. The first we’ve officially heard from Lupe’s highly anticipated album, Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album Pt. 1, new buzz single, Around My Way (Freedom Ain’t Free), should be instantly recognizable to hip-hop heads everywhere: the track finds producers Simonsayz and B-Side putting a light dusting on Pete Rock’s classic T.R.O.Y. beat, building the cut around that more classic than classic horn line. For his part, Lupe is at the height of his politically lyrical powers, touching on everything from drug trade around his way to depleted Sioux reservations to the international politics that keep a country like Ghana mired in violence and poverty. Lupe’s not pulling any punches with his one, which should be more than enough to get some of those hardcore Lupe supporters counting the days until the release on Food & Liquor II, due to arrive on September 25.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Gotcha" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.