Ill-fated females seem to be in the air today. On Booth newcomer PJ Simas’ Diagnosis of a Beautiful Mind, the Cali native struggled with how to love a girl who didn’t love herself, and Luke Christopher‘s first feature finds the 17-year-old rapper-producer in a strikingly similar situation: unwilling to watch the girl he loves travel down the path to self-destruction, he resolves to be The Rescuer. The L.A. repper sets an appropriately ominous fairy-tale vibe behind the boards, flipping a string-drenched sample (complete with a chorus befitting an old-school Disney musical) into a lush, haunting instrumental. Christopher matches his beat’s intensity on the mic, exhibiting a knack for poetic lyrical imagery: “The wind blows her body like the ghost of Sleepy Hollow, through a valley filled with waters that be anything but shallow.” Did I mention, he’s only 17?! Clearly, Luke Christopher can look forward to a bright future in the game – or have I got it twisted? If you agree with my assessment, keep it locked to DJBooth.net for all the latest on the artist’s yet-untitled, yet-unscheduled forthcoming mixtape.
Written by richard on 05/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Blue Skies" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.