Ill-fated females seem to be in the air today. On Booth newcomer PJ Simas’ Diagnosis of a Beautiful Mind, the Cali native struggled with how to love a girl who didn’t love herself, and Luke Christopher‘s first feature finds the 17-year-old rapper-producer in a strikingly similar situation: unwilling to watch the girl he loves travel down the path to self-destruction, he resolves to be The Rescuer. The L.A. repper sets an appropriately ominous fairy-tale vibe behind the boards, flipping a string-drenched sample (complete with a chorus befitting an old-school Disney musical) into a lush, haunting instrumental. Christopher matches his beat’s intensity on the mic, exhibiting a knack for poetic lyrical imagery: “The wind blows her body like the ghost of Sleepy Hollow, through a valley filled with waters that be anything but shallow.” Did I mention, he’s only 17?! Clearly, Luke Christopher can look forward to a bright future in the game – or have I got it twisted? If you agree with my assessment, keep it locked to DJBooth.net for all the latest on the artist’s yet-untitled, yet-unscheduled forthcoming mixtape.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Blue Skies" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.