We’ve all got our emotional baggage. Luke Christopher? Let’s just say that, even if he takes advantage of Southwest’s generous checked-bag policy, he gonna be paying some extra fees. On Broken People, his first promo single of the New Year, the Cali rapper/producer reflects on the history of heartbreak and familial dysfunction that helped sink his last relationship. If that sounds a little dark, well, it is—but the record’s disarmingly sweet presentation makes up for the bitter subject matter. Christopher’s sung and rapped bars have a gentle, wistful undertone, and his production (sampled from singer-songwriter Kate Melua’s The Flood) sounds almost cheery. While you await further details on Luke’s 2014 plans, why not check out his last project, the DJBooth-hosted The Wonder Years (Part One) EP?
Written by richard on 01/22/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rescuer" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.