On a 1990 single off LL Cool J‘s Walking With a Panther LP, the battle-rap master advised his competitor to set down the mic and dance like the female he is—hence the jingling earrings. More of a lover (or, at least, luster) than a fighter, Ludacris puts a more literal spin on the the record’s theme on the lead single off his eighth LP, fixing his gaze on the Jingaling anatomy of a woman working the stripper pole at his favorite club. L.A. Posse, Cool James and Marley Marl‘s original boardwork gets a 2012 makeover courtesy of Da Internz, who supplement a tweaked version of the original sample (from the Rhythm Addicts’ Scorpio) with a fresh, syncopated percussion rhythm. While Mr. Bridges is too hypnotized by the bouncing booty to deliver much in the way of sophisticated lyricism (Representative sample: “You best come with your A-Game / Cause I’m longer than freight train.”) but he couches his lecherous bars in characteristically masterful flows. Time to weigh in: does this retro-freaky selection bode well for Ludaversal? Whatever your take, keep it locked to our front page for the latest on the yet-unscheduled set.
Written by richard on 07/29/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grew Up a Screw Up" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.