When you coach a sports team, you have to be able to see a level above all of the players and come up with original strategies to win. You may as well call Boston emcee Lucky Dice, Rap Game Coach. With the exclusive premiere of his new single, When Danger Awaits, Lucky takes what could be a series of throwaway metaphors by an average rapper and pushes them a step further to stretch your brain muscles: “You can call me anything, just don’t call me collect. [...] If money is the root, where the hell is the rest?”. The soulful boardwork, courtesy of Jon Glass for GlassHouse Productions, reminds me of the well known soundtracks to Blaxploitation films, which often took place in neighborhoods where danger made its name. When Danger Awaits is slated to appear on the Massachusetts native’s upcoming SoundScan album, available for free download, via DJBooth.net, on May 12.
Written by Bryan H on 04/22/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.