Luck-One‘s latest single may be titled Money & Power, but don’t get it twisted; while the cut does indeed deal with the Portland buzzmaker’s hustle for fame and fortune, he tackles the subject with his usual nuance and lyrical insight. Over Trox‘s slow-burning, sax-laced instrumental, the artist admits that currency is his highest priority at the moment, but makes clear that his paper chase is about more than the simple desire to stunt: “Not talkin’ bout throwing no rims on the Audi / But payin’ for my parents’ pilgrimage back to Saudi.” Booth newcomer Chris McCain pays homage to musical idols 2Pac and Lauryn Hill in a cocksure middle 16. For this cut, June 2013’s Servant II the King and much more, cop Luck-One’s King of the Northwest II: Curse of the Pharoah LP when it drops digitally on Tuesday, February 11.
Written by richard on 01/20/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.