Luck-One‘s latest single may be titled Money & Power, but don’t get it twisted; while the cut does indeed deal with the Portland buzzmaker’s hustle for fame and fortune, he tackles the subject with his usual nuance and lyrical insight. Over Trox‘s slow-burning, sax-laced instrumental, the artist admits that currency is his highest priority at the moment, but makes clear that his paper chase is about more than the simple desire to stunt: “Not talkin’ bout throwing no rims on the Audi / But payin’ for my parents’ pilgrimage back to Saudi.” Booth newcomer Chris McCain pays homage to musical idols 2Pac and Lauryn Hill in a cocksure middle 16. For this cut, June 2013’s Servant II the King and much more, cop Luck-One’s King of the Northwest II: Curse of the Pharoah LP when it drops digitally on Tuesday, February 11.
Written by richard on 01/20/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.