Luck-One‘s latest single may be titled Money & Power, but don’t get it twisted; while the cut does indeed deal with the Portland buzzmaker’s hustle for fame and fortune, he tackles the subject with his usual nuance and lyrical insight. Over Trox‘s slow-burning, sax-laced instrumental, the artist admits that currency is his highest priority at the moment, but makes clear that his paper chase is about more than the simple desire to stunt: “Not talkin’ bout throwing no rims on the Audi / But payin’ for my parents’ pilgrimage back to Saudi.” Booth newcomer Chris McCain pays homage to musical idols 2Pac and Lauryn Hill in a cocksure middle 16. For this cut, June 2013’s Servant II the King and much more, cop Luck-One’s King of the Northwest II: Curse of the Pharoah LP when it drops digitally on Tuesday, February 11.
Written by richard on 01/20/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.