It’s sad, but true: most of us will never touch the designer clothes and luxury whips that we hear name-dropped in every other song on the radio—not without taking on massive amounts of debt, anyway. Booth newcomer LORDE and her clique are in the same boat, but she doesn’t feel like she’s missing anything. On her latest EP single and debut DJBooth feature, the 16-year-old New Zealand native states, “That kind of lux just ain’t for us / We crave a different kind of buzz.” The record has a stripped-down sound to match its lyrical message; the singer’s multi-tracked vocal harmonies carry the cut, backed by little more than a spare, fingersnap-driven percussion rhythm by Joel Little. Joel Kefali directs the equally down-to-earth visuals, starring LORDE alongside a few of her real-life homies. Fans can find Royals and much more on the artist’s Love Club EP, out now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 06/11/13
Submit your Rating
Universal Music NZ
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Royals (RAAK Remix)" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.