Royals, the debut single from New Zealand pop songstress Lorde, has yet to crack the Top 40 Stateside (it currently sits at #59), but if I were a betting man, I’d put money on it blowing up. Whether it’s the catchy melody or the quirky, minimal production, it exudes a crossover appeal that few listeners are able to resist. Even Booth fave Gilbere Forte’s been bumping it, as evidenced by this freshly-released remix of the cut. Frequent collaborator RAAK mans the mixing boards, serving up a skeletal, trap-informed deconstruction of the record’s artist-produced beat. Over the tweaked instrumental, the EPIC Records rhymesayer delivers an engagingly-flowed rundown of his aspirations in the game. Has Forte’ done justice to the reader-approved original? If you’re feeling this revamp, you’ll doubtless find more to like on his PRAY LP, available now for free streaming and download in the Booth.
Written by richard on 08/7/13
Submit your Rating
Universal Music NZ
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.