For some rappers, making music that’s “hard” just means yelling really f**king loud about firearms. Locksmith‘s Hardest Song Ever, however, contains no gat talk or vocal cord-shredding shouts. Rather, it draws its power from its brutal honesty, and the emotional weight of its subject matter. In the harrowing opening verse, the Golden State emcee details his childhood sexual abuse at the hands of a babysitter, following that up with a middle 16 describing the psychological fallout of that experience. He shifts his focus outward on the back, urging fellow victims to help break the cycle by speaking out. A number of individuals do just that in The Young Gunz’ official visuals, holding up signs with words of advice and encouragement to those struggling with the aftereffects of abuse. Complete with a poignant guest chorus by Leah Tysse, Hardest Song is just one of many fresh records to be found on the freestyle alum‘s A Thousand Cuts LP, pre-orderable now via iTunes. Visit the Booth for a full, free stream of the project when it drops digitally on Tuesday, the 15th.
Written by richard on 04/1/14
Locksmith, the Golden State buzzmaker and longtime reader fave who recently spit "Lifestyle" for our exclusive freestyle series, has unleashed his next street album. A Thousand Cuts comes heralded by lead effort "Hardest...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Livin Loaded" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.