Fresh off the December release of their first full-length as a duo, the aptly-titled Mathien and Sulaiman Make a Record, singer/songwriter/producer Chris Mathien and rapper Sulaiman are taking their collaborative relationship to the next level. That’s right, they’ve traded the casual “Mathien x Sulaiman” moniker in for a proper stage name. Their Booth debut under the “Local Nobodies” banner, freshly-released promo single Cannonball Adderall (Wake Me Down) sees the Windy City representatives moving forward in the eclectically breezy vein of their last feature, Breathe In (Let Go). Mathien reprises his role behind the boards, serving up a mellow, head-noddable indie/folk-infused groove (complete with irresistibly catchy background whistling) as his mic-rocking colleague mixes nostalgically rosy snapshots of late-night revelry (“Drinkin’ beers at 5:00 AM with all your friends…”) with left-field cultural allusions (“#OccupyWallStreet, meet Gordon Gekko”). Top it all off with a singalong hook, and you’ve got one of the catchiest tunes to hit our front page in a minute. This joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those who like what they’re hearing can keep it locked for all the latest from this talented twosome.
Written by richard on 01/10/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.