From his hit single Lay It Down to his latest solo release Be the One, Lloyd just can’t seem to make music we’re not feeling. Which means his Cal Ripken-esque streak is on the line with the release of new cut Stay. Released via producer Polow da Don’s Twitter, as most non-single songs are these days, Stay is a carefully balanced cut that combines pounding, up-tempo, hypnotic drum work with a softer overlay, even pausing to incorporate a flamenco-esque guitar section and subtle horns on the back end. Even for Polow that’s a lot of instruments on one beat. In other words, it’s the kind of complex production that would drown out most singers but Lloyd holds his own here, managing to rise above the beat while still maintaining the song’s softer, more romantic side. So now it’s up to you Booth Nation. Will Lloyd’s winning streak stay intact, or is this the end of the high-ratings road for Young Goldie? (Get it? Stay intact? Nevermind). Either way fans no doubt already have their calendars marked for July 5 when Lloyd’s King of Hearts album will finally see the light of day.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/12/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.