Not every prison is made up of concrete and bars. For some artists being trapped in a record deal can feel like a sentence, and that was exactly the case for the always vocally sweet Lloyd, who was recently set loose from his Murder, Inc. contract and signed with Interscope. To celebrate the occasion Young Goldie has released his new track, the aptly titled Set Me Free. Produced by J$Mil, who takes a classic retro-swing song and transforms it into a modern banger, Set Me Free is first and foremost driven by Lloyd’s lightt vocals, which take on a decided swagger here. Come to think of it, for guest artist Mystikal the prison metaphor is literal as we get to hear his still grimy voice put in work for one of the first times since he was released following a six-year bid (he sounds exactly the same as you remember). So how about it Booth? Is this track liberating your eardrums, or feeding them prison chow? Either way we can now expect a new album from Lloyd in the near future (hopefully). Free at last!
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You ft. Lil' Wayne" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.