I know what you’re thinking: “An R&B record titled Naked? This could only be about one thing.” Not so fast—in actuality, Lloyd‘s new single finds him espousing a philosophy of militant nudism, calling for listeners to set aside clothing altogether in the interest of a closer connection with nature. Oh, who am I kidding? In actuality, like most of his musical output, the Young Goldie singer’s latest effort has everything to do with, and is intended to set the mood for, getting it in. Polow Da Don establishes a suitably sultry vibe, blending glittering guitar riffs, smooth sax and thematically-appropriate space shuttle-launch samples, as Lloyd persuades his to girl to take it all off so they can “blast off” in the bedroom. As usual, the singer turns in a impressive mic performance, mixing crooned come-ons with flight metaphors and even working in a sly allusion or two to R. Kelly‘s It Seems Like You’re Ready. While I can take or leave the simulated sex noises (isn’t there a point at which listening to other people’s moans and groans becomes more awkward than hot?), the record itself is another home run—or have I got it twisted? Those who agree can hear more on Lloyd’s new digital full-length, King of Hearts, due out July 5.
Written by richard on 06/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.