I know what you’re thinking: “An R&B record titled Naked? This could only be about one thing.” Not so fast—in actuality, Lloyd‘s new single finds him espousing a philosophy of militant nudism, calling for listeners to set aside clothing altogether in the interest of a closer connection with nature. Oh, who am I kidding? In actuality, like most of his musical output, the Young Goldie singer’s latest effort has everything to do with, and is intended to set the mood for, getting it in. Polow Da Don establishes a suitably sultry vibe, blending glittering guitar riffs, smooth sax and thematically-appropriate space shuttle-launch samples, as Lloyd persuades his to girl to take it all off so they can “blast off” in the bedroom. As usual, the singer turns in a impressive mic performance, mixing crooned come-ons with flight metaphors and even working in a sly allusion or two to R. Kelly‘s It Seems Like You’re Ready. While I can take or leave the simulated sex noises (isn’t there a point at which listening to other people’s moans and groans becomes more awkward than hot?), the record itself is another home run—or have I got it twisted? Those who agree can hear more on Lloyd’s new digital full-length, King of Hearts, due out July 5.
Written by richard on 06/20/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You ft. Lil' Wayne" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)