Featured back in August of 2010, King of Hearts lead single Lay It Down earned rave reviews from listeners in the Booth – and, thanks to its cliffhanger ending, left our resident Lloyd fans clamoring for a sequel. Well, OK, you didn’t exactly need ESPN to predict that the Young Goldie singer was gonna ball, but the admitted lack of suspense in no way diminishes the freshness of this new sequel/remix. Dedicated to such pioneering singers as Tina Marie and Aretha Franklin, Part II (A Tribute to the Legends) retains Polow Da Don‘s slow-rolling beat and the overall theme, but packs an added blast from the past in the form of guest vocals from Patti Labelle. In addition to contributing some soaring backing vocals and alluding to her own ‘83 hit, Love, Need and Want You on the bridge, the soul diva administers a hard-hitting reality check on the middle verse, asking “If you really wanna keep a good girl, then why you on the street with a hood girl?” Is this retro-infused revamp an improvement upon the acclaimed original? We report, you decide. Either way, fans can find plenty more where this came from on Lloyd’s fourth LP, scheduled to hit stores sometime in March.
Written by richard on 01/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)