With 2010 smash F*ck You, Cee-Lo Green discovered that obscenity-laced tirades and vintage-soul-informed grooves went together as improbably well as french fries and ice cream (Try it—it’s delicious!). On album standout Dedication to My Ex (Miss That), Lloyd takes a similarly crass-yet-classic approach to the topic of love and loss. Over Polow da Don‘s synth-infused soul boardwork, the Young Goldie explains that, though he’s no longer in love with the woman in question, the thought of strange men accessing the p*ssy that was once under his sole proprietorship is simply too much for him to bear. Needless to say, Lloyd’s anguish is something plenty of other fellas will be able to identify with; including Lil Wayne, who contributes an opening monologue and ad-libs throughout the cut, and Andre 3000, who (arguably) steals the show with his digressive, often-hilarious kiss-off of a closing verse. It may not be as romantic as Lloyd’s usual, but Dedication‘s quirky pop appeal can’t be denied—or have I got it twisted? Whatever your take on the matter, you can find much more where this came from on King of Hearts, available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 07/14/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You ft. Lil' Wayne" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: DMX Loses His Shit (In a Good Way), Droog Still Isn’t Nas
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.