I recently saw a credit card commercial where Jimmy Fallon literally “makes it rain” in the 30 seconds of shine Capital One gave him to speak. Is this what mainstream America thinks hip-hop culture consists of? Who do we blame for this? While plenty rappers will preach and encourage spending like you belong in the 1%, many of us (including rappers) are actually front-line casualties of the war on the middle class. So where do we go to #Occupy? Today, we have a perhaps unlikely leader in the “cash shouldn’t rule everything around us” movement as Lloyd Banks (ironic?) tells us to not fret about money so much. Produced by G-Unit go-to-guy Doe Pesci, Make It Stack is a darkly piano-laced track that could serve as the outro music to an X-Files episode. Providing a message like your financial advisor, Banks tells a story of the things he’s accomplished as a rapper, but subtly admits it’s not really what he’s aiming for in life. I think we can now officially expect the unexpected on Lloyd’s upcoming and currently unscheduled mixtape, Cold Corner 2.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 10/30/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Don't Know" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)