I recently saw a credit card commercial where Jimmy Fallon literally “makes it rain” in the 30 seconds of shine Capital One gave him to speak. Is this what mainstream America thinks hip-hop culture consists of? Who do we blame for this? While plenty rappers will preach and encourage spending like you belong in the 1%, many of us (including rappers) are actually front-line casualties of the war on the middle class. So where do we go to #Occupy? Today, we have a perhaps unlikely leader in the “cash shouldn’t rule everything around us” movement as Lloyd Banks (ironic?) tells us to not fret about money so much. Produced by G-Unit go-to-guy Doe Pesci, Make It Stack is a darkly piano-laced track that could serve as the outro music to an X-Files episode. Providing a message like your financial advisor, Banks tells a story of the things he’s accomplished as a rapper, but subtly admits it’s not really what he’s aiming for in life. I think we can now officially expect the unexpected on Lloyd’s upcoming and currently unscheduled mixtape, Cold Corner 2.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 10/30/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Don't Know" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.