I recently saw a credit card commercial where Jimmy Fallon literally “makes it rain” in the 30 seconds of shine Capital One gave him to speak. Is this what mainstream America thinks hip-hop culture consists of? Who do we blame for this? While plenty rappers will preach and encourage spending like you belong in the 1%, many of us (including rappers) are actually front-line casualties of the war on the middle class. So where do we go to #Occupy? Today, we have a perhaps unlikely leader in the “cash shouldn’t rule everything around us” movement as Lloyd Banks (ironic?) tells us to not fret about money so much. Produced by G-Unit go-to-guy Doe Pesci, Make It Stack is a darkly piano-laced track that could serve as the outro music to an X-Files episode. Providing a message like your financial advisor, Banks tells a story of the things he’s accomplished as a rapper, but subtly admits it’s not really what he’s aiming for in life. I think we can now officially expect the unexpected on Lloyd’s upcoming and currently unscheduled mixtape, Cold Corner 2.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 10/30/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Don't Know" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.