Getting To It Mandatory, the newest leak from Lloyd Banks’ forthcoming and currently unscheduled mixtape Cold Corner 2, will both disappoint and please. It depends on what kind of fan you are. Producer Doe Pesci‘s eerie, low tempo arrangement stomps as Banks lays down verses filled with all of the diamonds and Rozay one would expect from the G-Unit vet: “Dollar bills give me chills / Fat a** fills in model heels and it’s real.” Between the smack-talking verses lies a Fiddy-esque chorus decorated with minor keystrokes and Lloyd’s barking chants: “All that bi**h s**t talking means nothing till you do it / out the way, watch me get to it.” For my money Mandatory moves at a slow pace and fails to standout from the millions of street records in Lloyd’s discography, basically it’s the same Banks we’ve heard before (see his recent Hunger For More 2 release), but that’s exactly what will keep loyal fans happy. Is consistency a bad thing? As always, we’ll leave it to the Booth to provide Mandatory with its proper rank. Get to it people.
Written by CourtlandHH on 04/11/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Don't Know" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.