LL Cool J‘s last single, Take It, earned positive feedback on our pages, but some reviewers couldn’t help but express a little nostalgia for the tougher, hungrier Cool James of yore. Evidently, he’s been missing those days as well—and his position as host of last night’s Grammy Awards presented the perfect opportunity for a little blast from the past. Performed at the climax of the broadcast as a tribute to the late Adam “MCA” Yauch, the rap vet’s latest effort finds him tapping into that old-school energy to craft a cut as rugged as its predecessor was smooth. DJ Z-Trip and The Trackmasters’ classic samples (from LL’s own Rock the Bells as well as Public Enemy’s Welcome to the Terrordome) set the tone for Whaddap, a rock-infused banger which features the headliner and PE frontman Chuck D. going “hard as hell” over guitar by Rage Against the Machine alum Tom Morello and furious percussion by Travis Barker. LL Cool J’s first full-length following his split from Def Jam, Authentic is scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers May 7, via S-BRO.
Written by richard on 02/11/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Whatcha Hood Like ft. Lil' Scrappy" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.