It ain’t easy being female in the music game. In addition to the usual label politics, cutthroat competition and media hassles, you have to contend with the public’s unremitting scrutiny of your sex life and physical attributes. Lily Allen, for one, has had enough. On her latest single, the UK pop starlet mounts a frontal attack against the double-standards that hold women back in her business—and pretty much everywhere else. Serious as she clearly is about the premise, she manages to execute it with all the wry humor her fans have come to expect, and Greg Kurstin‘s upbeat synth production renders the record all the more addictive. Christopher Sweeney directs the cinematic accompaniment, which (somewhat counterintuitively) features more rippling female posteriors than any other video I’ve viewed in a hot minute. Allen’s third full-length has yet to receive either a title or a drop date, but we’ll keep you posted on the project as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 11/15/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Drivin' Me Wild ft. Lily Allen" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.