A buzzmaking singer/songwriter affiliated with Chance the Rapper‘s Save Money collective, Lili K. has decided to test the figurative waters by making her first DJBooth feature a cover. Well, actually two covers… fused into an original song. On Summertime Valentine, the R&B/soul/jazz songstress blends elements from George Gershwin and Stephen Sondheim’s oft-covered Summertime (penned as part of the 1935 opera Porgy & Bess) and Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart‘s equally classic My Funny Valentine (from 1937 musical Babes in Arms) to create a hybrid composition all her own. Producer Peter Cottontale and a cadre of talented musicians (including Kids These Days alumnus Nico Segal) provide an intricate live-band backdrop for Lili’s dynamic vocal performance. For this innovative jam and much more, check out Lili K.‘s My Favorite Things EP, released for free digital download at the top of the month.
Written by richard on 07/15/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)