A buzzmaking singer/songwriter affiliated with Chance the Rapper‘s Save Money collective, Lili K. has decided to test the figurative waters by making her first DJBooth feature a cover. Well, actually two covers… fused into an original song. On Summertime Valentine, the R&B/soul/jazz songstress blends elements from George Gershwin and Stephen Sondheim’s oft-covered Summertime (penned as part of the 1935 opera Porgy & Bess) and Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart‘s equally classic My Funny Valentine (from 1937 musical Babes in Arms) to create a hybrid composition all her own. Producer Peter Cottontale and a cadre of talented musicians (including Kids These Days alumnus Nico Segal) provide an intricate live-band backdrop for Lili’s dynamic vocal performance. For this innovative jam and much more, check out Lili K.‘s My Favorite Things EP, released for free digital download at the top of the month.
Written by richard on 07/15/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.