I once wrote that Lil Wayne’s last album The Rebirth was almost unlistenably bad, a verdict I still stand by, mostly because Wayne decided to go it alone instead of recruiting someone well versed in rock-rap combinations to help; someone like Rick Rubin, or Jim Jonsin or !¡MAYDAY! Problem solved. For their new record the eclectic Florida crew who previously brought us Make a Livin, the men of MAY remix Weezy’s single On Fire (which was actually one of Rebirth’s better songs), and may have just improved it in the process. How? Well, they dropped the original’s ‘80s aerobics based beat and replaced it with their own funky production, while on the vocal end of the equation adding in a verse between Wayne’s opening gambit and a reworked version of the hook. Better than the original? I can’t wait to hear what DJBooth nation thinks below. If you love creative hip-hop and exclamation points you’re in luck. Plenty more music from ¡MAYDAY! is on the way, including their Lords of the Fly mixtape, dropping exclusively on DJBooth September 28, and their long awaited album Stuck on an Island, in stores October 12.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.