I once wrote that Lil Wayne’s last album The Rebirth was almost unlistenably bad, a verdict I still stand by, mostly because Wayne decided to go it alone instead of recruiting someone well versed in rock-rap combinations to help; someone like Rick Rubin, or Jim Jonsin or !¡MAYDAY! Problem solved. For their new record the eclectic Florida crew who previously brought us Make a Livin, the men of MAY remix Weezy’s single On Fire (which was actually one of Rebirth’s better songs), and may have just improved it in the process. How? Well, they dropped the original’s ‘80s aerobics based beat and replaced it with their own funky production, while on the vocal end of the equation adding in a verse between Wayne’s opening gambit and a reworked version of the hook. Better than the original? I can’t wait to hear what DJBooth nation thinks below. If you love creative hip-hop and exclamation points you’re in luck. Plenty more music from ¡MAYDAY! is on the way, including their Lords of the Fly mixtape, dropping exclusively on DJBooth September 28, and their long awaited album Stuck on an Island, in stores October 12.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/26/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.