With a 750 word, mostly negative, album review still looming large in the rearview I can’t sit here and pretend that I’ve loved Lil Wayne’s music lately, but maybe that will make it mean even more when I say that new (possible) single Mirror has some serious hit potential. Producer Ramon “REO” Owens had Kanye, Drake and Nas all pass on Mirror’s eerie, dark, completely sample free beat before Weezy wisely decided to pick it up, building on the instrumental’s serious overtones with some of his most serious and world wise lyrics to date. As opposed to the punchline heavy flow Wayne used for much of the album, here we get a flow so slow it often borders on the spoken word, letting Mr. Carter’s legitimately nice lines shine: “Life lined up on the mirror / don’t blow it.” (I’ll give you a moment to think it over.) Throw in yet another moving hook from Bruno Mars and we’ve got Weezy’s new “take your lighters at stadium anthem.” Those desperately searching their Carter IV’s tracklist for Mirror will need to buy the albums’ deluxe version, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/31/11
Submit your Rating
Cash Money Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)