With a 750 word, mostly negative, album review still looming large in the rearview I can’t sit here and pretend that I’ve loved Lil Wayne’s music lately, but maybe that will make it mean even more when I say that new (possible) single Mirror has some serious hit potential. Producer Ramon “REO” Owens had Kanye, Drake and Nas all pass on Mirror’s eerie, dark, completely sample free beat before Weezy wisely decided to pick it up, building on the instrumental’s serious overtones with some of his most serious and world wise lyrics to date. As opposed to the punchline heavy flow Wayne used for much of the album, here we get a flow so slow it often borders on the spoken word, letting Mr. Carter’s legitimately nice lines shine: “Life lined up on the mirror / don’t blow it.” (I’ll give you a moment to think it over.) Throw in yet another moving hook from Bruno Mars and we’ve got Weezy’s new “take your lighters at stadium anthem.” Those desperately searching their Carter IV’s tracklist for Mirror will need to buy the albums’ deluxe version, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/31/11
Submit your Rating
Cash Money Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce ft. Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.