I don’t know about y’all, but these past few months I’ve been praying to the hip-hop gods that installment number four in Lil Wayne‘s Carter saga will be every bit as brilliantly insane as its predecessor. While 6’7” was a tantalizingly weird start, I’ve been waiting for a follow-up to really get my hopes up. Well, single number two has arrived in the form of
If I Die Today
John. Morbid lyrical fantasies are always a good look for Weezy (though his therapist might disagree), and here we have them in spades; over a street-ready Polow Da Don beat renovated from its original appearance on Rick Ross’ I’m Not a Star, Tunechi mixes reflections on his demise with luxurious stunting and plenty of oddball lines (including my pick for Least Expected Reference of the Week: “I got that Esther, b*tch I’m Redd Foxx”). Ross himself contributes a characteristically high-rolling middle verse, as well as trading lines with Wayne on the hook. Die Today is far-out, to be sure, but is its debt to the Teflon Don inclusion a handicap? Whether or not you think it bodes well for the project, you won’t want to miss out on the cultural event that will be Tha Carter IV, coming this spring.
Written by richard on 03/24/11
Cash Money/Universal Motown
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce ft. Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)