I don’t know about y’all, but these past few months I’ve been praying to the hip-hop gods that installment number four in Lil Wayne‘s Carter saga will be every bit as brilliantly insane as its predecessor. While 6’7” was a tantalizingly weird start, I’ve been waiting for a follow-up to really get my hopes up. Well, single number two has arrived in the form of
If I Die Today
John. Morbid lyrical fantasies are always a good look for Weezy (though his therapist might disagree), and here we have them in spades; over a street-ready Polow Da Don beat renovated from its original appearance on Rick Ross’ I’m Not a Star, Tunechi mixes reflections on his demise with luxurious stunting and plenty of oddball lines (including my pick for Least Expected Reference of the Week: “I got that Esther, b*tch I’m Redd Foxx”). Ross himself contributes a characteristically high-rolling middle verse, as well as trading lines with Wayne on the hook. Die Today is far-out, to be sure, but is its debt to the Teflon Don inclusion a handicap? Whether or not you think it bodes well for the project, you won’t want to miss out on the cultural event that will be Tha Carter IV, coming this spring.
Written by richard on 03/24/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.