Prepare for the internet to explode in 5, 4, 3….. When Lil Wayne emerged from Rikers we didn’t know how the incarceration would affect his music, but after first single, Six Foot Seven Foot, it seemed like the answer was not much. Weezy going hard over a Bangladesh beat? Yep, that sounds familiar. But after today’s release of Carter IV’s second single, the acoustic ballad How to Love, the rules have been rewritten. Featuring production by Detail and Drum Up, who combine hand percussion, a slow bass line and the occasional Dream-esque “A!”, How to Love is easily the most sentimental we’ve ever heard the teardrop tattooed rapper, as he croons an (almost) auto-tune ode to a woman who’s had everything but a man who could truly touch her heart. We’ve heard a lot from Wayne over the years, but we’ve never heard anything like this. I don’t need to prompt discussion with this one, just get out of the way and let Booth Nation get to commenting. Have at it people. Regardless, one thing’s for sure; it’s time to rethink our expectations for what Carter IV will sound like when it drops June 21.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/26/11
Submit your Rating
Cash Money Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce ft. Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.