Emcee, trendsetter, and lip-gloss-popper Lil’ Mama has done a lot to prove herself as the Voice of the Young People since the release of her first mainstream single, Lip Gloss last year. The Harlem-born spitter has shown that she is a nonconformist, at least by “femcee” standards, and has earned herself a spot on the Billboard’s top ten on two occasions. Unfortunately, with the untimely passing of her mother this past winter, Lil’ Mama has had to deal with tragedy in the wake of success. L.I.F.E., the fourth single off of VYP, features production from fellow Brooklynites Tuneheadz, and offers gritty insight into her past. “I ain’t got no pictures of my mother, she was a crack fiend, nothing like Pac mother” shows us the antithesis of the high-school hip-pop diva we were introduced to, and gives us reason to believe there may be another side to her voice.
Listen to More: Lil' Mama Written by Erica L.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lip Gloss" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.