In the course of Lil Mama‘s career to date, we’ve seen several sides of the Harlem-born femcee; though she hit the scene as a Lip Gloss-popping teenybopper, her account of her rough childhood on fourth single L.I.F.E. revealed surprising lyrical depth. Now, with the lead single off her currently-untitled sophomore LP, she’s stepping into the spotlight as a dance-pop songstress who’s proud to say, “I’m A Diva.” Though Mama’s lyrics, which focus on her sassiness and fashion sense, aren’t going to appeal to everyone, this is the kind of club-oriented cut that truly lives or dies on the strength of its beat and hook; fortunately, the synth-heavy production stylings of Bloodshy and Avant (not the singer) and the catchy chorus should be enough to have I’m a Diva running through listeners’ heads, as well as pumping through club sound systems. Lil Mama’s sophomore LP currently lacks an official release date – stay tuned for further details.
Written by richard on 02/17/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lip Gloss" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.