In the course of Lil Mama‘s career to date, we’ve seen several sides of the Harlem-born femcee; though she hit the scene as a Lip Gloss-popping teenybopper, her account of her rough childhood on fourth single L.I.F.E. revealed surprising lyrical depth. Now, with the lead single off her currently-untitled sophomore LP, she’s stepping into the spotlight as a dance-pop songstress who’s proud to say, “I’m A Diva.” Though Mama’s lyrics, which focus on her sassiness and fashion sense, aren’t going to appeal to everyone, this is the kind of club-oriented cut that truly lives or dies on the strength of its beat and hook; fortunately, the synth-heavy production stylings of Bloodshy and Avant (not the singer) and the catchy chorus should be enough to have I’m a Diva running through listeners’ heads, as well as pumping through club sound systems. Lil Mama’s sophomore LP currently lacks an official release date – stay tuned for further details.
Written by richard on 02/17/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lip Gloss" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.