With the specter of Vanilla Ice still looming over the rap game, most white rappers aren’t eager to make their melanin deficiency a subject of their rhymes. But you won’t find any shame in Lil Dicky‘s game. On his latest single and first Booth feature, the Philly repper proudly announces, “It’s a damn good day to be a White Dude.” While it would be easy to write this record off as a an utter disaster à la Accidental Racist, those who give Dicky’s bars a close listen will find that the jam is an on-point deconstruction of white privilege. Over a head-noddable J-Kits beat borrowed from the OMG Girlz’ Where the Boys At?, the emcee revels in his low risk of jail time, his ability to appropriate other cultures for fun and profit, and his license to act like an assh*le while still being treated like a gentleman. Of course, the “dude” part of the equation has its share of perks as well: “I go on dates, and never have to worry bout gettin’ raped.” Brian Storm provides some tongue-in-cheek visuals to accompany the cut. This satirical jam can be found on new mixtape So Hard, available now for download from the artist’s official site.
Written by richard on 05/24/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.