With the specter of Vanilla Ice still looming over the rap game, most white rappers aren’t eager to make their melanin deficiency a subject of their rhymes. But you won’t find any shame in Lil Dicky‘s game. On his latest single and first Booth feature, the Philly repper proudly announces, “It’s a damn good day to be a White Dude.” While it would be easy to write this record off as a an utter disaster à la Accidental Racist, those who give Dicky’s bars a close listen will find that the jam is an on-point deconstruction of white privilege. Over a head-noddable J-Kits beat borrowed from the OMG Girlz’ Where the Boys At?, the emcee revels in his low risk of jail time, his ability to appropriate other cultures for fun and profit, and his license to act like an assh*le while still being treated like a gentleman. Of course, the “dude” part of the equation has its share of perks as well: “I go on dates, and never have to worry bout gettin’ raped.” Brian Storm provides some tongue-in-cheek visuals to accompany the cut. This satirical jam can be found on new mixtape So Hard, available now for download from the artist’s official site.
Written by richard on 05/24/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)