While the rest of us were on the couch watching Rugrats, Booth newcomer Lightfoot was soaking in the pathbreaking sounds of old-school hip-hop, as well as jazz and reggaeton, in the diverse Boston neighborhood of Jamaica Plains. That early exposure to an eclectic array of sounds and styles clearly left its mark on the producer, as he amply demonstrates on album lead single Boom Bap Rat. On this eminently head-noddable jam, gleaming electro synths collide with syncopated breaks to create a sound that’s both retro and forward-looking. Animator Caroline Torres provides an apt illustration of the record’s atmosphere on the visual tip, telling the story of a precocious grade-schooler who daydreams of being sucked into a passing spaceship and traveling far away from the mundane world of pop quizzes and classroom bullies. Fans can find this cut and much more on The Rudimentals, released September 4, and out now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 09/13/12
Perfect Time Publishing
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.