When Lex One says he’s “colder than a polar bear’s toenails,” on new single Polar Cool, just how cold is he talking? Well, let’s see… Ursus maritimus resides in the Arctic Circle, where temperatures can drop below ?50 °C (?58 °F) in the coldest months of the year and, while several inches of blubber serve to maintain their body heat, their claws are afforded no such protection. So, if my calculations are correct, that’s… pretty f**ing chilly. Despite the shiver inducing theme, the Florida-based rapper/producer’s latest single boasts a vibe as warm as the artist’s home state. Over his own exuberant, chopped-soul-sample boardwork, Lex and Different Over Here collaborator Streets Buchanon let their minds wander, pulling together such disparate topics as Little Caesar pizzas, Soul Calibur and Cornel West. Despite the playfully allusive tone, it’s clear they take their rhyme skills dead seriously – as Buchanon puts it, “Second coming of Christ on the mic? Dude, obviously.” That might be just a tough hyperbolic, but still, the net freshness on display should have heads reaching for a sweater. In addition to appearing on Lex’s G.T.P.S. Mixtape (out now) this cut is set for inclusion on forthcoming solo LP Ameture coming soon.
Written by richard on 03/28/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.